Desperate for a decent job, Cajun cook Remy Doucet joins a crew of mercenaries sailing out to Robicheaux's Escape -- an island resort in need of a new chef. Braving the violent typhoon thrashing the sea, the group arrives safely at a seemingly deserted hotel. But it is far from abandoned: an ancient evil stirring beneath the hotel has twisted the island into a nightmare and comes closer to waking every moment. All Remy wanted was a job; now all she wants is to get back alive.
This is not a recent game! It was my first foray into adventure/rpg games back in 2008 or so, so it was more of an experiment than anything. Reception (what little it got) was mixed for the most part: for some it's open-ended to the point of confusion, probably because I hadn't realized that at no point does the game come out and tell you to gather everyone at the boat and escape. But I think the endgame stuff is worth it if you can beat this taxing game (i.e. get one of the proper endings). It's also got some pretty scary moments -- play it at night, in a dark room, with the sound turned up.
Note: saving isn't possible (at the time I didn't know how to make it work without crashing the game). When you die you have the option to continue the game, which returns Remy to the harbor cabin with reduced health and all her items and progress intact. Progress is lost when you restart or quit the game.
~=~ FEATURES ~=~
- An entire island resort to search and explore from top to bottom
- Terrifying atmosphere: rain spatters gently on the grass, rolling thunder growls overhead, a second set of footsteps sends you running from the house!
- Haunting soundtrack: eerie music that turns frantic when danger is near
- Stock a small inventory with weapons, tools, and keys: manage your items well to avoid backtracking
- Read lost notes and journal pages for chilling clues to the hotel's history
- Horrid creatures lurk in the shadows: random encounters give you second thoughts about walking around the next corner or entering a room
- Choose your game length: do you gather your friends and escape? or stop the evil on the island first?
- Taxing riddles and puzzles hide the island's secrets
- Enlist the aid of three rough allies...if you can save them in time
- Multiple endings: did you foil the impending catastrophe? did anyone survive? and is your sanity intact?
You must be logged in to post a comment.