Third public alpha build PA03 is out! - 1/26/2014
IMPORTANT: SAVE SYSTEM IS NOT IMPLEMENTED YET
First off, I switched development platforms (Game Maker 8.1 to Game Maker: Studio, which is an altogether different beast) so the game runs on a new architecture, which is what I'll be using for the rest of development.
- Screen scaling is handled differently now (SHOULD be more pixel-perfect with less instances of
- UI tweaks and bug fixes
- Inventory context menu has additional functionality, though 'sort' does not work yet, and 'drop' does not work in weapons/armor item lists
- MOAR text popups!
- Quest system dropped in and working
- Additional story element and Quest added for the only boss in the game so far
- Fetish and Favor additional functionality
- More Font and UI polishing
- Easter Egg location to help celebrate Twitch.tv streamer Indie (Dan) celebrate his partnership, featuring a sneak-peek at a new Indie (Dan) themed Boss
- Squished lots of bugs (and probably created many new ones as a result)
Arrow Keys: Move about
'A': Attack (back or cancel in menus), Speed walk on overworld map, hold UP + 'A' to use/throw whatever you have equipped in a sub-slot
SPACE: Jump (confirm in menus)
ENTER: Bring up inventory (or PAUSE the game in classic pause mode (OVERWORLD MAP will not draw correctly with this))
'S': Cycle through sub-equipment slots
ESCAPE: Will exit the game to the desktop
Alt+Enter: Switch between windowed and fullscreen modes
The game has native gamepad support, so feel free to plug in a 360 controller, or any other USB gamepad. Pads tested so far include a variety of 360 pads (Microsoft and 3rd party), retro USB NES controllers (though I haven't used one I liked at ALL), an ancient Gravis Gamepad Pro, and PS3 Six Axis controller.
All of the keyboard controls and gamepad controls can be customized in the Options > Setup Controls menu.
Savage is equal parts inspired by the Conan stories by Robert E. Howard, my fascination with Zelda II (yes, yes, I know - the black sheep of the Zelda family), other games of its ilk (like Gargoyle's Quest) and a healthy dose of general barbarian fetishism.
The final product will (hopefully) include a varied, somewhat open world to explore, an interesting little tale filled with machismo, magic and muscles, day/night cycle, overworld hunting/tracking, lots of action/platforming, fun melee system and some mild RPG elements (item use, leveling up, gear, crafting and the like).
Posted By Chris Priestman 10/15/2013
The clue is in the title, I suppose. “Savage” it reads, but I interpreted that as only referring to the character I was playing as; an escaped convict pissed off at his captors trampling over his native soil and killing his people. Damn straight you’d be savage in such a situation.
|Status: In Development|
|Engine/Language: Game Maker|
|Visit Game's Web Site|